Click on the article to view full size
A dual stadium complex proposed for the vicinity of I-75 and M-59 in Pontiac, MI. - 1969
|In 1965, Pontiacs own Don Davidson, a Professor of Architecture at the University of Detroit envisioned a new downtown Pontiac urban renewal project which included a new stadium for the area.
In 1966, Pontiac City Commissioner Paul Irwin urged the City Commission to consider this comprehensive study of the City of Pontiac made by Davidson and his U. of D. class.
Finally, in 1968, and after much persuasion, Professor C. Don Davidson, along with other area sports enthusiasts see the reality that professional sports teams, the Detroit Lions and the Tigers, are seriously considering the possibilities of a new major sports facility for Southeast Michigan. The excitement was generated by the fact that Davidson and Pontiac city leaders made a presentation to the Metropolitan Stadium Committee of a 155 acre site on the city's east side at the intersection of M-59 and I-75. The Metropolitan Stadium Committee voted unanimously for the Pontiac site. The city commission later appointed a Stadium Authority which spent the greater part of 1969 completing the necessary economic feasibility studies in constructing such a stadium. The city made the professional sports franchises aware that a stadium could be built and financed in Pontiac.|
An Environmental analysis of a central business area : Pontiac, Michigan ...Authors: Bruno Leon, Karl H. Greimel, C. Don Davidson'
Current Status and Latest News on the Stadium
- Pontiac blight-fighting group asks for Silverdome improvements
- Silverdome owners betrayed Pontiac’s trust
- 1970's Rendering Shows Tigers and Lions Dual Stadium Complex in Pontiac
- Open house planned at Pontiac’s Phoenix Center as legal battle over demolition continues
- The Abandoned Silverdome Looks Post-Apocalyptic
- Seats from former Detroit Lions home, selling for $100 online
- Pontiac Silverdome owners auctioning seats, toilets from former Detroit Lions home
- Former Rendering of a Future Renovated Pontiac Silverdome
- Silverdome owner sues insurance company for denying $23 million roof repair, cleanup
- New Owner's Vision: Invest millions/Big events